Re: renamed interfaces or ifrename confuse other programs

Jörg Schütter said...
> Hello Marc,
>
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:30:08 -0000
> marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
>
> > Jörg Schütter said...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm using ifrename to give my network interfaces other names
> > > (lan, wlan and testlan). Unfortunately this confuses a few
> > > network-tools, eg iptraff and netmon-applet.
> > > What would be the right way to solve the problems?
> > > - open a bug report for every program (#335882)
> > > - open a bug report against ifrename for adding informations
> > >   regarding this problems
> > > - let all interface names start with eth_ in hope the
> > >   applications will be able to use this interfaces again (not
> > >   tested)
> > > - ...
> >
> > I found similar problems with ifrename, so decided to jump to using udev
> > rules. Here's an outline of the process.
> [process]
>
> I don't know if I got it right, but I tried it this way:
> - disable ifrename by prepending every line in /etc/iftab w/ #
> - add a line which starts w/
>   KERNEL="eth*", SYSFS{address}="
>   followed by MAC address and new name for each nic to
>   /etc/udev/rules.d/010_local.rules
> - run udevstart
> - reboot
>
> But I think I had an error in the config (or soewhere else) since
> after that no network interface was available.

Ensure that the MAC address is correct - and all lower-case. This should
help to confirm the device info and address

# udevinfo -a -p /sys/class/net/eth0/
  looking at class device '/sys/class/net/eth0':
-->    SYSFS{address}="00:52:8b:d5:04:48"

eth0 will be whatever you change it to once udev has taken it.

--
Best,
Marc