Re: ipw2200 issues

James Strandboge (jamie@strandboge.com) wrote:
> > Daniel Nilsson wrote:
> > >
> > > I've just about had enough of my problems with the ipw2200 driver and
> > > the 2.6.12 kernel. I used to have a rock solid wireless connection
> > > while I was using vanilla kernel 2.6.11.8 and ipw2200 driver version
> > > 1.0.3 but ever since upgrading the kernel to 2.6.12 (vanilla or debian
> > > version doesn't matter) and driver version 1.0.6 or above I can't seem
> > > to keep my connection up and running.
> > >

> I have this same laptop, and was using sarge's 2.6.8 with a recompiled
> 1.0.6 ipw2200-source from sid and all was well.
>
> I then wanted to try the 2.6.13.x kernel and found that debian's
> packaging of ipw2200 (at the time-- this was several weeks ago) would
> not compile.  I then just grabbed the latest sources for the firmware
> and drivers from upstream, followed their installation instructions and
> it all works well again.  My connection lasts all day while listening to
> streamed ogg's and doing very network intensive operations.

James,

This is interesting... Could you tell me some more about your setup, are you
using WEP? What kind of access point are you using? Do you have a very good
signal from you access point?

Somehow I'm a little suspicious that my problems might be related to kernel
version 2.6.12, mainly because the reports I've seen from people with these
kinds of issue all seem to be using 2.6.12. Maybe I should try 2.6.13, or
2.6.14 with the latest source directly from Intel.

Regards
Daniel Nilsson