Re: A page that causes Firefox (Sarge) to close

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:37:56PM +1100, James Foster wrote:
> I'm using the latest mozilla-firefox (1.0.4-2sarge5) on Debian Sarge,
> and whenever I attempt to visit a particular page, I'm finding that it
> closes immediately. Can someone please confirm this behaviour?
>
> The page is: http://www.movieweb.com/forums/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D6036&e=9797

Confirmed.  BTW, it loads just fine in Konqueror.

When Firefox crashes on my system it seems mostly due to extensions
that the page requires, like Flash, although I have flashblock to
block Flash movies from playing instantly, so it usually doesn't crash
unless I click on the movie.  Lots of movies work just fine.

I tried starting Firefox from the command line with the '-safe-mode'
option so it doesn't load extensions and it reports errors on the
command line.  Then I visited this page you mentioned and it crashed
again:

---------------
$ firefox -safe-mode

The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 16439 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)

The 'serial 16439' mentioned is different each time.  I haven't tried
debugging it yet.  You may try that, but you may want to choose to do
that in a bug report.  Or continue here and point to this discussion
in your bug report.  [In case you don't know: Debian package
'reportbug' is recommended for this.]

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse