Re: problem with ctrl+alt+f7

mikes kikou wrote:
i have a serious problem when trying to switch form a console to x
with ctrl+alt+f7(or alt+f7).
when i do this, my computer stops responding and the only solution is
the reset button

i use debian sarge 3.1 with kde 3.4.1(same problem with default kde),
and kernel 2.6.12(same problem with 2.6.8)
my graphics card is an ati radeon 9600 pro and i 've installed the
driver from: xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/
debian/fglrx-installer.html.

a strange "solution" to my problem is :
/etc/init.d/kdm stop and then start. then my problem dissappears.(same with xdm)
i uninsrtalled xdm and kdm and logged with startx, and i had the same problem.
i have to mention that all the above happen after installing the fglrx driver.
i've searched the whole net and i discovered that maybe i m the only
debian user these days having this problem.

Seems to be your graphics card and that driver combination.
Did you try their mailing list? Subscribe to it and describe your problem?

I would get another graphics card: they are not expensive and gives you a little bit of room to play around.