Re: Remote X login

marc said...
> Jon Dowland said...
> > On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:00:26PM -0000, marc wrote:
>
> > > Nevertheless, while this function is certainly useful - if my
> > > understanding is correct that it allows you to use remote named
> > > X-based progs - I still have the requirement of loggin on to a remote
> > > machine via XDM.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm curious about the best approach for that sort-of stuff, too.
>
> I've now got this working.
>
> There appears to have been a bug in KDM [1] that may, or may not, have
> been fixed [2]. However, I'm running testing, so can't try the fix.
>
> Instead, I loaded GDM, and I can KDE sessions on remote machines without
> difficulty. However, GDM presents other problems :-( so, hopefully, KDM
> 4:3.2.2-1 will be available soon.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2004/08/msg00110.html
> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2005/08/msg00315.html

Just as a follow-up, I tested KDM in sid - at least a recent Knoppix
install - and the problem is fixed there.

Rather than trying to force GDM to do my bidding, I think I'll wait for
the updated KDM to appear in testing. In the meantime, it's not to much
hassle to drop into console and run either
# X -query host
or
# X -indirect host
both of which work, although not ideal for users.

Now it all works, I've got to say that this is a killer feature -
although it would be nice to have multiple connects active
simultaneously, even better with each as a virtual desktop in, say, KDE.

--
Best,
Marc