What blocks access to my host?

Hi,

I had to re-install my machine using stable distribution. This is my
server running Exim, Cyrus, Apache etc. It seems that when I selected
a bundle of packages at the installation, it had installed some kind
of the firewall, or did some configuration I can't figure out. Namely,
I can telnet to SMTP post locally (telnet 127.0.0.1 smtp) but I get
"connection refused" when I try to telnet from a box on the same
subnet. For that matter, I can telnet on that box to localhost but
cannot telnet from any other machines on the same subnet.  I removed
ipchains already, but there must be something else. I am behind a
hadware firewall, so I can get by without any software firewall. I
already spent hours without any success chasing this problem.

Many thanks in advance

-aaron