Re: Socket 754 Sempron Kernel

Hans du Plooy wrote:

I'm just wondering, I'm getting an AMD64 based Sempron this afternoon for a server. Debian Sarge is to be loaded. This CPU is the cheap-o version of the Athlon64, but the 64bit bits are disabled. So what is the correct kernel for it? Does the K8 kernel require 64bit extentions?

Thanks
Hans

i386 seems to be the correct image. I have a abit 754 with Sempron2600, which didn´t accept the amd64 image. The problem is, if you upgrade your cpu to a real amd64, do you have to reinstall? I am still trying to figure this out correctly, but I believe amd64 can run i386 image, though its not optimal. To make things even more confused, amd decided to enable the 64bit extensions in semprons, also. Some have it, some don´t.
Take a look at graham´s site:
http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/amd64.jspx
good reference.