Re: /dev/cdrom mounting

On Monday 17 October 2005 17:19, J Merritt wrote:
> I have been using Debian for about 2 months now after having used
> Mandrakelinux 10.1 for a much longer time. In Mandrake, the DVD/CD-writer
> will automount and auto-unmount whenever you insert or eject DVD/CD
> media. It has other issues, however.
>
> I like the way k3b works on the Debian side. Better than how it works on
> the Mandrake side. In Debian, however, I'm having a problem that I'm sure
> has a simple solution. I do not have automount enabled. I'm assuming it's
> something you do with /etc/fstab (?). So what I do is shell out, su, and
> 'mount -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom'. This works fine for reading a single CD
> or DVD. However, after I enter the command, it will not allow me to
> 'umount /dev/cdrom'. It keeps saying the device is busy. What do I need
> to do to get it to eject the media? How can I enable automounting the way
> it does it in Mdk? Or is it part of the same issue?
>
> TIA

You should check out the fuser command.  The -m switch may help.  Once you
figure out which process is accessing the mounted disk, you can stop that
process.

Alternately, if you can't stop the process, you can do a lazy unmount.
Check the umount man page for a complete description.

As others have said, you'll have to install the autofs package to get
automounting, or use one of the other suggested solutions.

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin