Re: apt-0.6 off line usage

golfer wrote:

The only way I seem to be able to get packages installed is to go back
on line and do the 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  For one or two packages,
this may be ok, but it's not something I want to waste time doing
routinely.

The dist-upgrade option is not intended for routine use. Unless you are mistaking it for the "upgrade" option, it may be a bug or a deprecated
feature.  An off-line dist-upgrade seems like a problematic feature to support.