Re: udev and hotplug status in unstable

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:26:47PM -0400, [KS] wrote:

> Since the last few days when I have tried to use dselect for upgrading
> my unstable box, it wanted to uninstall hotplug in order to upgrade
> udev. Now I know that there have been some changes in udev and it has
> almost taken over hotplug's functionality but I thought it would be
> better to ask here before upgrading. Has the upgrade been smooth for
> unstable users or were there any quirks that users show know about?
> After the upgrade are the CF cards, USB drives, ALSA, etc. working fine
> or ....

I'm running Testing, so my situation won't be exactly the same.

Everything still works, but not as easily.  I have to manually install the
visor kernel module (to sync my Palm Tungsten T3) and the usblp module (to
print to my Laserjet).  It seems that udev doesn't detect them.

I just noticed this morning that the Palm works better if the cradle's cable
is plugged directly into the computer's USB port, rather than a hub, so that
might be the problem (rather than udev).

Since the last upgrade in Testing, there's up to a one-minute delay between
inserting an SD card and the appearance of sda in /dev/, which means that
the drive can't be mounted for a relatively short, but irritating and
confusing time.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.