Re: How to use old CPUs (Not Debian Specific)

Hi everyone :-)

Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:17:57PM +0100, Graham Smith wrote:
>
>>On Friday 14 October 2005 21:45, Marty wrote:
>>
>>>You're ignoring the uses in between those two extremes.  For example, why
>>>use a modern machine, which uses 3 or 4 times the power, just for a
>>>firewall or backup server?
>
> Actually, I've tried using old klunkers to do backups, and discovered
> that they can't take large hard disks.  One of mine won't go beyond
> about 128 gig, tha other gets stuck somewhere between 2.5G and 80 G.

Just get yourself a IDE (raid) controller card. The cheapest will do
since you are not going to use any of the raid features. I got one for
10 euros.

Install Linux on the original hard disk and attach your modern ones to
the IDE controller. My file server (P1 133MHz) now has the extraordinary
capacity of 0.5 TB (read terra byte ;-)).

Nikolai

--
"1984" is not a howto!

Égalité (+ 1848)