Re: General linux question.

On Monday 17 October 2005 19:09, Bruno Buys wrote:
> stephen horvath wrote:
> > Help,
> >
> > I have used the Linux programs for quite a few weeks and have decided
> > to use it for all of my personal computing needs.
> >
> > I have used two distrubutions and have liked them both, one is Red
> > Hat/Fedors and the other is Xandros.
> >
> > I do have a question that I have not received an answer. What is the
> > real difference in what is referred to as Red Hat based or Debian based?
> >
> > I know their must be quite a difference between the two, but what is it?
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve Horvath
>
> Since free software can be modified and redistributed, lots of people
> engage in rebuilding software, or rewriting it, to meet specific (or
> different) needs. The possibilities are endless, and you you can really
> see a pattern of branching that resembles those genealogic trees of
> living beings (if you are a biologist, like me).
> To say that a given distro is 'Debian based' is to say that it starts
> with Debian packaged software, but it tweaks/modifies/rewrites that
> software, ending in a new thing. The same for 'Red Hat based'. There has
> been a deal of controversy in this list regarding the relationship
> between Debian and their derivatives. You can learn a bit about it, try
> searching the archives for it.

The main difference for a user is the way in the two different systems package
there programs and updates.  The RedHat packages use <package>.rpm and the
Debian ones use <package>.deb many think the the Debian method is better
(more flexable less likely to have trouble).  The Debian Synaptic program is
quite good.

Regards Neil