Re: Lucy & the Football

Even More Progress !

george5@georgesbasement.com wrote:
... snippage ... Installing Thunderbird ...

>> 2. The second time I opened Thunderbird, it was empty, and the
>> Install Wizard wanted all my data all over again.  150 messages
>> vanished ... but it had let me do the setup all by myself without
>> a peep of complaint.

I inquired:
>> Can I safely go through the Thunderbird Install Wizard and not
>> overwrite these files ? I'll save 'em under a new name, just in
>> case ...

> ... snippage about backing up Mail, which I'll implement as soon
> as I can get past the blank Inbox screen.

Went to mozilla.org & looked at their FAQ for Thunderbird.  As in
my earlier posting, the advice and my menus differ dramatically.

Therefore, I dug deeper, into the .mozilla-thunderbird folder.
There I found two profiles folders, one with my name as the
extension, the other attached thoroughly to "default."  I then
renamed both files, the correct one (default) to my name as the
extension, and the incorrect (empty) one to georgeNG as the
default.  Then I interchanged the profile names, placing the
alphanumeric portion of one onto the other and vice versa.  Then
I opened the profiles.ini file and swapped the profile names
in there as well.  As I had changed the wrong (empty) profile name
to something that wasn't in the profiles.ini file, there is now
only one correct profile, so when I opened Thunderbird, there was
all my mail !  And the Wizard stayed quiet, even when I rebooted
the 'puter to be sure.

Having these files in plain text and visible to the user certainly
makes it easier to fix things.

George Langford