Re: Lucy & the Football

Progress !

george5@georgesbasement.com wrote:
... snippage ... Installing Thunderbird ...
> Then a couple of problems surfaced:
>
> 1. The menu items highlight to white on white.

> This is a common bug already posted here before.
> You can check for fixes in the list archives.

I'll try that; the simple answer that I had found was, "change theme."

Miguel wrote:

> I think that happened. First you installed thunderbird and as root, you
> configured the account in thunderbird. Then you log off root and as
> joe-user you tried to access your mail. As you configured your account
> as root, you can't use it as joe-user. This is the reason you saw the
> wizard asking you to setup a new account. Your original account is in
> root's home /root/.mozilla-thunderbird

Not quite - I was logged into gnome as george, not root; and I just
opened "Thunderbird Mail Client" from the Applications menu, not
noticing the Thunderbird Install Wizard (which I removed from the
menu after I noticed it - now, of course, I have to find it and put
it back on that menu ...).

However, I now enabled "Show hidden files" in the file viewer, and
the emails appear to be in my "george" .mozilla-thunderbird folder.

Whew ! What a relief ...

Can I safely go through the Thunderbird Install Wizard and not
overwrite these files ? I'll save 'em under a new name, just in
case ...

... snippage about backing up Mail, which I'll implement as soon
as I can get past the blank Inbox screen.

Thanks for the sage and helpfully explicit advice. My blood pressure
is greatly soothed by the careful reply.

George Langford