Re: /dev/mouse & /dev/dsp missing!

Fyi, Adam.

----- Forwarded message from Adam Bogacki <afb@paradise.net.nz> -----

From: Adam Bogacki <afb@paradise.net.nz>
To: slug@slug.org.au
Cc: wellylug@lists.wellylug.co.nz
Subject: Re: /dev/mouse & /dev/dsp missing!

Thanks Jason, I tried that ..

> /dev/mouse is depreciated. All it's supposed to be is a link to /dev/psaux
> as far as I recall but on my system it doesn't exist either. I'd guess it
> was removed as it's not supposed to be used any more. The most recommended
> thing to change it to would be /dev/input/mice as this reads from all mice
> that the system knows of so you don't have to manually specify each one you
> attach to the system.

.. but still no cursor. @#$!

Not only that, but I don't seem to be able to enter init 3 via
Alt-F* or typing 'init 3' at boot prompt so I'm using mutt in the
top left two-thirds of the screen .. better than nothing.

> What sound modules were you using previously? alsa or oss? Since oss is
> depreciated I'd guess also but then I hav no idea why you've got mplayer set
> to play via oss rather than alsa.

ALSA - but I can't find alsa modules in /etc/modules (attached) - are
they missing ?

> If you are using alsa like me. I had alsa sound work fine but not programs
> that still tried to use oss devices after my last transition. The alsa sound
> modules were loaded but not the oss modules that provide backwards
> compatibility with oss sound devices. Try loading, snd-mixer-oss and
> snd-pcm-oss (modprobe snd-mixer-oss, modprobe snd-mixer-oss) and see if that
> makes /dev/dsp appear. If so add those modules to your /etc/modules file so
> they are loaded on next boot.

Hmm .. tried that too but still received the /dev/dsp error message
from mplayer.

I think I have to sleep on this - it always happens when other things
are also coming to a head.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

printer
apm
usb-uhci
input