TV as a Monitor

I'm having great difficulties using my tv as a monitor.  I'm not
worried about the horrible resolution, I understand the concept that a
regular tv will never be able to produce resolution like a computer
monitor.  Instead, my problem is getting it to work at all.  I have my
svideo output running from my ATI Radeon 9500 to my video in on the
television.

This works fine for boot, and even during the instillation of Debian if
I issue the command "install vga=771" or something very similar.  I
found this command in the F1 help at the installer menu.  If I sipmly
hit enter at the installer splash screen to enter the default
installer, I get horrible syncing problems on my TV and everything
looks like a blue-grey scramble.  The installer goes thru all of its
steps, I can read the (very fuzzy) text as I would expect, and I get to
the point where it asks me to reboot.

After rebooting, video still works.  I see my bios messages, then
linux's grub boot menu comes up and I make a selection.  Right after
that, I get the same horrible picture that I got when I did the debian
installer without the vga=771 command.

Durring the installer I did see a choice to setup monitor settings.
The first time I went with default settings, and it didn't work (same
issue.)  The second time I did advanced setup and used the values that
the installer recommended for the vertical and horizontal (same issue.)
 But maybe those recommended settings were for a regular monitor?  What
would the values be for a picture tube TV?

After I couldn't get debian to work I tried to install Fedora Core 4,
the installer did the exact same thing, however, it didn't have any
kind of special monitor settings so I couldn't even get it installed.
Windows XP (bleh) worked flawlessly, however.  Installer fine and fine
on boot all the way into windows.  But I want my linux! (windows was
just a test)

Does anyone know how I can get the picture to continue working in the
same way that I had it in the installer's special (goofy laptop
monitor/TV) mode?  Either some sort of setting that I need to change in
some file, or if during the installer I specified advanced values for
the horiz/vert settings?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Rob