BIND 9 Question

Hi all,
       Quick question, I hope. I am migrating a data center from
RedHat/Suse/Mandrake to Debian (as the new single standard). One of the
things I have found is that Debian seems to pre-configure the BIND 9 Server
for only home/small network situations as a primary name cache. Since I have
to be the "authoritative" DNS for my domains and my IP blocks for reverse
DNS, it looks like I will need to build my BIND Configuration from scratch.
In addition, I must go directly to the root servers since the ISP does not
provide DNS services under my contract. Is my assumption correct that I
cannot really use the base Debian BIND configuration? And can I assume that
the modifications I make will be protected on update/upgrade with Debian
usual grace?

Thanks,

Tim