Re: Opening and/or setting up XFree86 in Debian sarge

george5@georgesbasement.com wrote:

For the umpteenth time I'm attempting to set up a Linux-based
PC in order to do home office stuff, like write professional-
looking reports, image editing and publishing, and webpage
development.  No games, nothing requiring speed of any kind.

I downloaded several ISO files, succeeded in converting them
into readable (and for Disk 1, bootable) CD's with which I
installed Debian.  That got me to the command prompt.  No sign
of a GUI anywhere ...

Then I got the system to recognize the network (Linksys router,
DSL modem, WXP laptop also on the router) and to my astonishment,
I managed to "complete" the installation of various packages
via the Internet connection.  I even FTP'd XFree86's binaries
and installed them.
You want the "desktop" task. Run aptitude, then go down to Tasks, then select the desktop package. I would also recommend the gnome-desktop task package, as gnome is my preferred desktop environment. This will install all of the required packages, and should configure XFree86 for you (after answering some questions).

Jason Martens