Re: How to get realplayer and mplayer to properly install?

>    !. Realplayer never activates . period
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. What do you mean by that? More
specifically, if you go to the command line and type at the prompt...
user@host:~$ realplay
What happens? What is outputted to the terminal, and what windows (if
any) appear?

>   4. I downloaded package mplayer-k6 , not mplayer-nogui - I expect to
> find a gui.
Even if you download & install mplayer-k6, the GUI executable of
mplayer is still called gmplayer (the 'g' stands for either GUI or
GTK; I'm not sure which one). The command-line executable of mplayer
is always called mplayer.

>    2. all updates and packages were installed with synaptic
As far as I know, RealPlayer doesn't have an official Debian package.
Therefore, I would suggest that you go to the RealPlayer website
(http://www.real.com) and download/install the latest version
directly.
Also, I would suggest you do the same for mplayer from the mplayer
website (http://www.mplayerhq.hu). Download the latest source package,
and read the documentation (README, INSTALL, etc) that comes with it.
There is a very simple method of creating a Debian package out of the
mplayer source code; the mplayer developers have done most of the
work, it seems.

> > 1) Are you able to play sound in general or is the problem with
> > realplayer/mplayer?
This important question still beckons for an answer.

Hope this helps,
Malcolm