IDE controller card recommendation

I am setting up a machine to act as an LTSP server for my church.  I have a
stack of old IDE hard drives that I want to use in a RAID configuration.  The
server's case has plenty of room for drives and a number of PCI expansion
slots.  I would like to get two PCI IDE controller cards to connect all the
drives with.  The server has an IDE CD-ROM, leaving 3 open slots in the
on-board controllers.  If I get two more cards (eah with two connectors), I
should be able to connect 8 more hard drives.

I would like to use inexpensive cards (~$15-$30) since I will be setting up
software RAID and this is an older server with older drives.  I have experience
with certain Promise cards under Linux (and I am not happy with that
experience).    Personally, I am just looking to find out what cards people are
using and how happy/unhappy they are with said cards.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto