[boot optimization] How to speed up the boot?

Hi,

my etch works very well, but the startup process takes too long... I can see
many useless probing scripts working during the startup.
I thought I could remove some autoprobing script from /etc/rc*, but I don't know
which. Here's the list:

S01glibc.sh@
S02mountvirtfs@
S05bootlogd@
S05initrd-tools.sh@
S05keymap.sh@
S07hdparm@
S10checkroot.sh@
S18ifupdown-clean@
S20module-init-tools@
S20modutils@
S25libdevmapper1.00@
S30checkfs.sh@
S30procps.sh@
S35mountall.sh@
S36discover@
S36lm-sensors@
S36mountvirtfs@
S38pppd-dns@
S39dns-clean@
S39ifupdown@
S40hostname.sh@
S40hotplug@
S40networking@
S41hotplug-net@
S43portmap@
S45mountnfs.sh@
S46setserial@
S48console-screen.sh@
S50hwclock.sh@
S51ntpdate@
S55bootmisc.sh@
S55urandom@
S70nviboot@
S70x11-common@
S71xserver-xorg@
S75sudo@

Which scripts can I remove without any damage to the system integrity?
My etch is an old sarge manually configured for my hardware, so I imagine that I
 can remove something with no risk.

Do you know if there are some other way to speed up the boot process?

Thank you in advance,
belbo