Re: setting up environment variables

Nelson Castillo wrote:
> Is this a run-level distinction then? Is /etc/profile is only involved
> in setting up run-level 2?

This has nothing at all to do with run levels.

> > I was unaware of the /etc/environment directory. Is this a Debian thing?
> > A linux thing? An X thing?
>
> Seems debian-specific.

It originated with IBM AIX.  But no other systems picked it up that I
know of before PAM started using it.  Now /etc/environment is loaded
by PAM authenticated login sessions.  Which means that if the process
is not PAM related that it does not use /etc/environment.

Bob