Re: Sarge and ASUS AN8-E Main Board

Kaffe wrote:
Hi

My Main Board is ASUS AN8-E.

The  Main Board is based on NVIDIA nForce 4
Ultrachipset

There is no onboard graphics card.

Onboard LAN controller is: nForce4 built-in Gbit MAC with external PHY :
- NV ActiveArmor
- NV Firewall
AI NET2
Onboard Audio Controller is:
Realtek ALC850, 8-channel CODEC

Is this Main Board supported by the available kernels in Sarge ?

Thanks in advance

Kaffe

Hi Kaffe

I have an A8N-SLI board working nicely with sid on both i386 and amd64 ports. AFAIK, as long as you choose linux26 from the boot menu, to install a 2.6 kernel, you should be fine.

The only problem I had was with the sarge kernel (2.6.8 I think) you need to append '--acpi_skip_timer_override' to the kernel paramaters on boot to get the net controller to work. Later kernels (now running 2.6.12) seem to dectect the nvidia chipset and disable this automatically. Not sure whether this supports gb traffic as I only have a 100mb router, I dont think it does.

The onboard sound works with alsa in the 2.6 kernels using the snd-intel8x0 module.

The NV firewall and active armour is windows based software so I haven't used it on my system.

HTH

Wackojacko