Re: Hardware RAID advices needed

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:39:57 +0200
Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm finally back after getting a nasty project on my back, and I have a
> question... I'm thinking about buying a hardware RAID controller for my
> desktop. The main reason I don't want to go with software RAID is that
> my mobo IDE controllers are allready full with other stuff, and one of
> them may have a problem. So, I would need some kind of controller
> anyway.
>
> I'm not doing it for performance, just for reliability. Yeah, I have
> additional backup, but I like the idea that the data will be accessible
> even if a disk crashes. So, that's main priority.

My 0.02 USD: You don't need performance so buy an IDE card to put the "other
stuff" on and use your MOBO primary and secondary for software RAID1. It works
great and you don't have another piece of hardware to break or buy. If your MOBO
has only one IDE then put your disks on master/slave but take the performance hit.
I don't think it is that big of a deal. I say don't waste money on a 3rd party
RAID controller when you don't need one.

<snip>

David