Re: Help!

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 03:17:11PM +0100, antgel wrote:
> Jon Dowland wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:48:53AM -0400, George Boyce wrote:
> >
> >>I'm not sure what to do from here! I typed in ENTER - no good. I tried
> >>LOGON........still no good! Keeps
> >>bringing me to  "username"@Debian1: ~$
> >

> > Sorry, this reply doesn't answer your question (the others do):
> >
> > We've had a lot of these queries recently. Does that suggest the
> > installation process needs to be adjusted slightly, to combat the
> > assumption a GUI environment is installed by default? Or should we be
> > pushing for people to read the installation docs before going ahead with
> > it?
>
> I raised a bug on this after being in #debian for a while.  325655 if
> you're interested.  It is incredible how many people don't read the
> install guide or the Reference.  It's not as if one is installing a
> little program to work with their mobile phone.  This is an OS, for
> goodness' sake.

And as Debian goes on gaining ground against Microsoft, we're
going to have more and more people being confuse about this.
I'm not concerned about the few newbies who actually ask what's
wrong here.  I'm concerned about the ones who don't, give up, and go
back to Windows, thinking they are just not smart enough for free
software.

Every recruit to Windows, whether voluntary or not, is a kind
of secret agent using the cures of compatibility to push Windows
on to new users.

My daughter keeps complaining we don't have Word here.  All her
friends have Word, and we don't, and it makes it hard for her to
collaborate with them on class projects.  Yes, we have OpenOffice,
and AbiWord, and the like, and they are just not quite compatible
enough.

-- hendrik