Starting background process in ssh session

I occasionally log into a machine remotely and start a process in the
background:

command &

However, when I log out of the machine, the ssh process on my local
machine blocks.  I guess that it is becuase the remote still has jobs
running.  Is there a way to get it start the process in the background
and then detach from the shell?  I have already tried this:

exec command &

However, it results in the same behavior.  It is really a bit annoying
to have to kill the ssh process on my end to terminate the connection.
I really should be able to do something that lets me logout normally.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto