Re: Originating mail problem

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:12:07AM -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> I'm trying to get mail working through my isp and have a basic problem. My
> isp, bellsouth, requires a username and password to permit mail being
> relayed through them. Firefox and Mozilla have sections in the SMTP server
> options to put that. However I cannot find where I need to place them when
> using the "mail" command line program. I am running postfix and see
> usernames and passwords mentioned in the documentation, but it looks like
> that's for using this system as a server not a place for me to store mine
> for use by the bs server.
>
> Can anyone please enlighten me? Running a very recent install of Sarge.

Do you have a separate username and password for sending mail in
addition to the ones for connecting to your ISP?  If not, you should
be able to connect to your ISP ("pon") and send mail using the "mail"
command once you are connected without repeating username/password.

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)