Am I getting USB 2.0 speed?

I'm trying to figure out whether my mp3 player and pen drive is being handled as a USB 2.0, with proper speed, under Debian Sarge. I hooked it to every USB port the computer has, including two in the rear panel that has a 'USB 2.0' label stick in. The best I get transferring data to the device is ~800KB. I don't think this is ok, since 2.0 was supposed to reach 480MB/s. Even if top is never reached, 800kbps is way below...

I'm running kernel 2.6.8-2-k7, and the relevant modules loaded are:

vfat                   14656  1
fat                    46720  1 vfat
sd_mod                 21696  1
usb_storage            68800  1
ehci_hcd               31364  0
uhci_hcd               32784  0
usbcore               118308  5 usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
sata_via                7492  0
libata                 41412  1 sata_via
scsi_mod              124812  3 sd_mod,usb_storage,libata
dm_mod                 59644  0

what am I missing?
Thanks!

Bruno