[solved] cups/gutenprint/ghostscript problem--printing died on upgrade

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 02:45:55PM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> ago.  Since then I have had problems with printing which I have tried
> to narrow down by upping the logging in CUPS.  I have both an hp 1200
> Additionally the Gimp no longer has a print choice in its menu.  This
> would seem to be related to the upgrade of gimpprint 4.2.7 to gutenprint
> 5.something (which I am glad to see, but...).
>
> The CUPS log consistently shows a Ghostscript error:
>
> daddy:~# grep -A 10 Error /var/log/cups/error_log
> D [07/Aug/2005:13:58:00 -0700] [Job 1822] ESP Ghostscript 815.00: Error: Font Renderer Plugin ( FreeType ) return code = -1
> None of the packages I have installed releateed to this had any grave
> errors associated with them.  These include
>
> cupsys-driver-gutenprint   libgimpprint1   libgutenprintui2-1
> libgutenprint2   ijsgutenprint   gs-esp   gimp-print   libfreetype6

What a headache.  Googling gave no clues whatsover.  Finally found the
answer by tracking several packages through the bug tracking system--
the errors have been reported by others, with means to correct them
(downgrading gs-esp, and reinstalling gimp-print).

Sometimes finding the answer isn't as obvious initially, but a real
butt-kicking hit-the-side-of-the-head when it comes to the surface...

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,