Re: OT - Unwanted mail

On Sunday 07 August 2005 20:42, Katipo wrote:
>Doofus wrote:
>> Well, whilst I appreciate we can filter at our end with procmail
>> or delete directly from our imap servers (although not from this
>> here windows box), my point is that I can't see any reason for
>> "paypal" or "ebay" coming up at all in message headers or bodies
>> on a debian linux discussion group, and so why not ditch the lot
>> at source? I also concede that it's not my place to say what is
>> and isn't filtered, and I got more or less the response I
>> expected.
>
>Stop acting like a doofus.
>The general outlook of the open source software movement is that the
>enduser makes the decision about what they want to see, and what
> they don't.
>
>If *you* don't want to receive something, *you* filter it out.
>Debian has the software to facilitate this.
>
>Apparently some on this list adhere to a rationale that they wish to
>continue to receive mail that includes the criterion.
>They have a right to do so.
>What you see as spam, they do not.
>They have the right to self determination, as you do.
>By all means, exercise this on your own behalf, but please don't
> presume to set standards for others to adhere to.
>It's embarrassing to watch.

OTOH, seeing the techniques others use to combat the problem of the
phishing schemes these msgs represent, is valuable information.

If you object to the posting of such info, my ex-mother-in-law used to
have an applicable remark:  "You've got the same clothes to get glad
in that you got mad in."  That seems to apply here.

These mailing lists may have a charter topic, and yes, this is
offtopic, but thats what community is all about.  Occasionally one
needs to sit on the front stoop and say hi to the neighbors as they
walk by.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)