two ppp interfaces brought up at startup?

Hello Debian gurus,

My problem is that at startup, 2 ppp interfaces are brought up : ppp0
and ppp1. ( I've got a DSL line here ) Every time I boot the system (it's a laptop so I pretty much have to switch it off/on everyday ) I gotta su to root and 'ifconfig ppp1 down' to get networking to work. As you might imagine, this is quite frustrating.

I've set up by DSL connection with 'pppoeconf' and for a while, everything was fine. I then however run pppoeconf the second time and it must have written somewhere in its configuration files to create another ppp interface . I cannot figure out where!

Can anybody point me at some good pppoe tutorials and pppoeconf info so I can resolve this?

Please CC me in your answers as I am not subscribed to the list.

Leszek