External USB and dirvish -- getting error

Hi,

I run nightly backups on my external USB drive using dirvish and it has
been working perfectly since the last few days when I started them.
However, when I went to work on the machine this morning, I heard some
wierd noise and noticed that the external USB was the cause of the
noise. Usually, it spins down after a few mintues of activity but today
it is spinning and making a noise.

I checked the processes and to my surprise dirvish was still running. On
checking the syslog I have repeated listings,

Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code =
0x6000000
Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda,
sector 276642847
Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda2,
logical block 21473324
Aug  4 06:58:06 localhost kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sda2

What should be the correct method to stop dirvish now? Do I just kill
the process!

I had upgraded the kernle to 2.6.12 a few days ago. Could it be due to
that? But I have a feeling that it could be something else as the
backups were done when I checked yesterday morning.

/KS