Re: upgrade woody=>sarge, aptitude-update

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 04:16:26PM +0200, Felix Natter wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from woody to sarge by following the release notes,
> which state that I should first upgrade to sarge's aptitude.
>
> However, when I do this, aptitude tries to update glibc and a lot of
> other packages, and the point of first upgrading aptitude was to
> get better resolution of dependencies for most packages.
>
> Next I tried to mount the CD and install aptitude by hand:
[...]
> So I has to update glibc. What did I do wrong or is this the usual
> upgrade-path?

You didn't do anything wrong; the upgrade path is complicated by the new
glibc and the GCC 3.x transition for C++ libraries (all of those libs
ending in c102).  Unfortunately both APT and aptitude are written in
C++...

I'm a little surprised the release notes recommend upgrading to sarge's
aptitude first, because as you noticed it pretty much upgrades
everything anyway.

--
Society is never going to make any progress until we all learn to
pretend to like each other.