Switch to external monitor defunct in KDE

        Hello everyone!

I have tried to find help on this issue in comp.windows.x.kde but have
gotten no response so far. So I'm reposting my problem here...

I am running Debian Sarge with KDE 3.3.2 and kernel 2.6.11.6 on my
Thinkpad A21m laptop. On this machine I can switch to an external
monitor or beamer by pressing FN-F7. This works fine if I am in the
console or when running fvwm or Gnome. It also used to work in KDE a
while back.

Recently (probably after a Debian upgrade), this feature stopped working
in KDE.

The only way to get the desired result is to log out, kill the X-server with
CRTL-ALT-DEL and quickly hit FN-F7 before KDM is launched. (Yes, the
problem appears even before loggin in).

So I guess, some component of KDE, KDM or KWIN or ... is doing something
that prevents the switch.

I had a close look at all kinds of settings in the KDE Control Center,
the XF86config-4 and a few other config files without much success.
Google didn't seem to bring up relevant hits either (maybe I didn't
find the right phrases...).

I checked the usual suspects in /var/log/ and .xsession-errors but
couldn't find any messages that seemed related.

I'd be greatfull for any hints where to look for the problem and how to
make this work again.

cu
        Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel                           Tel.  +49-89-3187-3675
Institute for Bioinformatics / MIPS         Fax.  +49-89-3187-3585