Help loading Debian

This is my second attempt in a year to get Debian on my machine.  Why is it so dificult.  I have downloaded the ISO image of the net install and burned it to a CD.  Is this CD supposed to be bootable?  Anyway when I insert the CD in an i386 based machine it looks at the CD and returns not boot record found.  I have tried to look at your site to find a simple proceedure to get this on my machine.  I almost seems as though you want it to be hard so that people buy the disks.  I hope not but I feel I am helping you if I am honest about it.  Anyway I hope you can point me in the right direction.

Jim