display resolution

Hello Paul,

Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:16:41 +0200
> Use the videogen ...

Thanks for telling me about videogen.  I spent an
hour or so with it.

The man page lists only a few parameters for the
.videogen configuration file.  All others are only
command line parameters.  That is a little awkward.

I am not sure of the oscillator frequency.  There
is a metal device on the card, engraved with the
number 14.318.  That is the oscillator at 14.318 MHz?

No guesses at the vertical and horizontal frequencies.
Without the scan frequencies, videogen probably can
not work.

This morning I made a boot diskette for Aos
(see http://bluebottle.ethz.ch/ ).  The Aos boot
manager lists all available VESA modes.
24 bit color is not allowed for any resolution.
1024x768x16 is available and 800x600x32 is available.

So I edited XF86Config-4 to provide only the 800x600
resolutions and only at 16 and 32 bit color.  Now the
display is good!

This arrangement appears unsatisfactory in the sense
that configurations for the X server and for the X
client should be distinct.  The server should be able
to offer configurations which do not work for a
specific client.  Conversely, there should be a
configuration file or command pararmeters to specify
the preferred resolution, color depth and scan rate
for a particular client device.  I have yet to find
how X client parameters are specified.

Thanks for your help.  videogen helped me to focus.

Regards,              ... Peter E.