Re: two basic "new to Debian" questions: network config & RMS

vineyard saker <vineyardsaker@gmail.com> writes:

> 1) during my install I was not connected to the Internet (I had
> ordered the 14 Debian CDs from budgetlinuxcds) and I therefore did not
> configure my network card.  Now I would like to connect my computer to
> the rest of my computers on a home network.  What would you reccommend
> as the best application to do this?

Definitely ifupdown -- that's The Debian Way of networking. Install
the 'ifupdown' package, read 'man 5 interfaces', and set up
/etc/network/interfaces.

> 2) I vaguely remember hearing that there were some disagreements
> between the Debian team and Richard Stallman but I do not remember
> what caused it.  Could anyone point me to the right place to read up
> on this?

There are two disagreements I'm aware of. First of all, Debian thinks
works released under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) are
non-free, while RMS thinks they are free or the freedoms they lack
don't matter (I forgot which one). Secondly, Debian distributes both
free software and proprietary software (the 'non-free' section) in the
same way. Debian doesn't consider this to be a problem, RMS does.

Search the Debian mailing list archive for posts from RMS.

Martin