Re: Dialer Problems-Only Pon Works

Kent West wrote:

I believe I'd purge and then reinstall wvdial, and maybe.

Don't you just love sentence fragments? They're so very.

Seriously, ignore the partial. I was going to say I might would also
purge/reinstall the ppp-related stuff, but then I remembered that wvdial
is more-or-less standalone (I think).

Well Kent, you were right about everything. And, I feel mentally deprived as I should have tried
a purge/reinstall before posting.
wvdial is now working and I can call it up from $ as user. I'm going to post the wvdial output you requested, on a working system, so that anyone having this problem can see what should be on a working wvdial: (Note: still no /.wvdialrc in /home/lchata/) (note2: I still get the warning about can't write PAP-secrets and Chap-secrets-Permission denied, when calling wvdial as user. I know its harmless and I have gotten rid
of it before.  What is the Debian preferred way to do this?)

lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/ppp/peers$ cat /etc/wvdial.conf
[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = 9815666
Username = lchata
Password = *******
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/ppp/peers$
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/ppp/peers$ ls -l /usr/bin/wvdial
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 98408 Jan 21 03:38 /usr/bin/wvdial
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/ppp/peers$ ls -l /etc/wvdial.conf
-rw-r-----  1 root dialout 209 Jun 29 09:12 /etc/wvdial.conf
lchata@ChatagnierL-Home:/etc/ppp/peers$
Kent, thanks for your great help.