Re: Howto find and remove unused libraries?

Well I now have 1.2 Gigs free on my 3 Gig root partition. Amazing!
I was down to nearly 300 Megs before.

Brian Kimball wrote:

Just so you know, aptitude's fullscreen interface can be heavily customized to your liking. You can decide what information should be shown on each line in the package list (name, version, size, priority, description, etc). I've currently got it set to display how many reverse dependencies each package has. This allows me to see at a glance which packages are actually needed and which packages
 are just leftover cruft.  Sounds like you would find that useful...

brian

Jochen Schulz wrote:
> I always hated dselect, too. The good thing about aptitude is that
> you can use it much like apt-get, i.e. without the ncurses based
> interface. You can just say 'aptitude install foo' and it will behave
> almost like apt-get. But the ncurses interface can be really useful
> when solving strange dependency issuues.

I tried out aptitude, and I think i'll use that from now on. I'm glad its console based, excellent for remote admin. I think I got aptitude mixed up with synaptic which I tried a while ago but didn't like.

The reverse dependancy thing would be awsome, since I often think "do i really need this, why is it installed?". i'd better rtfm.

I'm liking Debian more and more!! :D