Re: xmms skips all files

Hello,

» On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:13:37AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 01:04:15PM +0300, Raymond A. Meijer wrote:
> > > What's the advantage of xmms over gmplayer, vlc, gxine, and/or totem?
> [snip]
>
> They play audio just fine, though.  I tend to use vlc, but any of them
> would do the job.  If you like animated visualizations, totem might be a
> choice.

I've gave a try to the programs you mention.

I could run all of them except vlc, which crashes here
~ % vlc
VLC media player 0.8.2-svn Janus
libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
"Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

  --------------------

I don't fell like using any of them.

The reason is that as far as I could tell (please correct if I missed it),

- none of them allows me to order the files numerically.

- none of them allows me to select all files in a directory without actually
selecting all of them,

- none provides a "recursive include all files in dir" function.

They all played the mp3s, but then mpg123 will also do that and there I can,
at least, sort numerally (through the command line arg order).

(BTW, I do use Mplayer to listen to the radio)

Cheers,
--
  Francisco.
             __o