Re: aptitude synaptic gnome to be removed?

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 06:40, Jason Edson <jasonedson@gmail.com>
(<[🔎] e700c46905062805402baff78a@mail.gmail.com>) wrote:

> I just did a dist-upgrade on my unstable box and for some reason apt
> wanted to remove gnome, synaptic, aptitude and I think one other. Has
> any one else had this problem [...]

Yes.

> [...] or can someone tell me the reason why?

The new apt (and apt-utils) are v0.6.38.  Some packages, including but not
limited to

  apt-file
  apt-listchanges
  apt-rdepends
  apt-show-versions
  aptitude
  libapt-pkg-perl
  python-apt
  synaptic

depend in some way on v0.5.something.

Put 'apt' and 'apt-utils' on hold to prevent the packages above from being
removed -- I don't have the 'gnome' meta-package installed, so I don't know
about it.  Then, we wait for the rest to catch up.