Re: 2.6.12.1 kernel won't compile in fresh sarge install

>What are the error messages?

unfortunately I rebooted between when I got the errors, and when I posted.  It  seems that I managed  to  install  whatever  it  needed in the meantime because  my  last  attempt  worked though it  got a  kernel  panic when I tried to boot to it.  I really don't know what it was looking for, and I don't know why auto-apt didn't notice it looking for anything.  Maybe because the linux source doesn't use configure scripts.  Maybe a virtual package with everything you need to compile vanilla kernels is possible.  I think I just needed some random thing.  I think perhaps what I did was run apt-get install build-dep kernel-image-2.6.8-1, and that brought in whatever I needed.  I'm not sure.

If you use udev then you'll have to update that to 058+, see
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/20/180 for more info

Okay thanks.

And sorry for responding directly.  I'm not used to using gmail with debian mailing lists, and I haven't setup this machine to access gmail using pop with an MUA I am more familiar with.