Re: possibility of debian "cannabilizing" other Linux distributions in 5-10 years time

On Saturday 25 June 2005 11:42 pm, Dominik Margraf wrote:
> In 10-15 years time, Do you think that Debian will dominate the
> desktop and the server market to the extent that most desktops/laptops
> sold in department stores will be preinstalled with Debian (just like
> today's M*Shit Windows)?

One might hope so, but many things will have to change.  Today, Debian as a
desktop is only practical where there is strong, nearby, technical support.
Clearly you don't like MS Windows (I don't like MS in general) but it works
out of the box for nearly every user and there is a ton of software that the
non-technical person can add-on with no trouble.  There is no Debian
equivalent (apt-get or aptitude or synaptic or ...?)

I'd be very interested to know if *anyone* is distributing a Debian system for
the non-technical user -- a basic setup with the os, a gdm, Open Office,
Firefox (with the appropriate plugins and extensions installed), Thunderbird,
along with a plan for painless upgrades and support.

The frame isn't Windows vs Linux.  It's Windows vs a tremendously fragmented
Linux community with a myriad of Linux distros, all different.  We can't even
agree on Gnome, KDE, or someother GUI.  As a geek I love all the options but
it fails as a business plan.

Please, if you see it differently, let me know either on this list or to me
individually.

Andy