Re: Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

Debian User Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

You can, if you will, tell me just how you remove a kernel(outline the process).

Like any other package: "apt-get remove <pkgname>" or use aptitude, dselect, etc.
I don't use the packaged kernels so I don't know but if it tries to re-install
LILO, I would postpone that part.

I'm thinking there might be more to it than just aptitude remove(or purge) the KI.

There might be other bits and pieces, header files or special modules.  I don't
know, but if that bothers you just find them with deborphan and purge them too.

Once I'm sure, I'll get rid of the 2.4.27* and go to a 2.6.8* KI.

Or you could just leave them around if they work.  They can come in handy
for some kinds of debugging.  My suggestion to remove the broken kernel was
conditional on the failure to get it working.

  Now
on to my next
issues, getting pon and wvdial to work under sarge.

You will probably need to (re)post all symptoms and relevant networking
information before anyone can help much.  But having said that, given
a working networking configuraion, my experience these tools almost
complete self-configure as part of the install process.

  Kill one, two more
pop up.
Also, about activating the lilo menu, How?

Uncomment "prompt" in /etc/lilo.conf

  If your using the graphical
menu and
are not having to punch a key to get it, would be nice for me to see what's in your
install= and map= stanzas.

install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map

But I don't think these do anything, at least not on any of my systems.
They might be some legacy cruft.  I've never touched them and the file
/boot/boot-menu.b doesn't even exist.

  I have read them man docs and tried several
things
but nothing works for me.
Thanks for your insight on compiling your own; I'll give it a try soon,

Leonard