Re: hardware autodetect

I've never heard of hotplug nor discover until now.  Very fancy.  ;-)

I bought a new video card the other day (after installing sarge).
Being an old-fashioned kind of person, I reboot into single user mode
and ran
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to configure it.  Then I do an init
6 to get back to multi user mode.

That worked fine, but there are some anomalies.  When I move or resize
a window, I get static on my display.

When I installed sarge, I was asked if I wanted to autodetect my
hardware, which bypassed the typical "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86" screens.  I'd like to rerun that auto configure, if
it's possible.  Is that just invoking discover?

Maybe it's a hardware problem, since the video card was used?

thanks,

-petri