New Debian 3.1 Installation, GDM no keyboard no mouse

Hi,

I just installed debian 3.1 and chose to setup a desktop
environment. Everything seemd to go smooth until GDM showed up and
neither the keyboard nor the mouse would work. The keyboard does work
in text mode. In case of the mouse, complains about /dev/input/mice
not being a valid device. The mouse did work on another computer. This
was a clean installation on a formatted drive. mdetect does not detect
any mouse. But even if I missed the mouse protocol, the keyboard
should work, right? I googled for this problem but didn't find
anything related to GDM, only with KDE but with no solution. As this
also happens with startx, I assume it's a problem with X. Any hints?

Thanks,

Cris