Kernel Panic After Sarge Dist-upgrade To Kernel Image 2.4.27-2-386

So frustrating, just fixed KDE Knotify problem and Debian only stayed fixed until installed a dist-upgrade.
Stayed fixed less than a day.  Ok, the problem is related to lilo.conf for an initrd.img.  I followed the dist-upgrade messages closely and thought I did it as described, but apparently not, as it wont boot.  Here are the related boot messages:
VFS: Cannot open rootdevice "301" or 30:01
Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 30:01
Ok, not worried at this time as I have my woody CD's and can do a rescbf24 to mount woody still installed and correct the lilo.conf but, here are the related boot messages when attempting rescue:
request_modules_hostadapter]: Root fs not mounted (repeated once)
cramfs: wrong magic
Fat: bogus logical sector size 5202
read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 03:03, block 64, size 1024)-repeated once
Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:05

Now I'm worried.  Note: I don't have a reiserfs file system, only an ext3 fs since day one on all partitions.
If anyone can help me to get the system bootable again, I think I can correct the lilo.conf problem by myself
at least if the initrd.img thing is covered in the lilo man.  I've totally reinstalled Debian about twice the number of months I've used Debian(6 months) and most were due to config issues, one due to filling up / even though I followed Debian recommendations.  I had Sarge 2.6.8-2-686 installed through dist-upgrade and, believe it or not, the installation config questions asked were very much different than the stable sarge.  Maybe Debian will someday provide enough explanations so a newbie doesn't have to guess what to select.  Also, the current dist-upgrade forced me to install the 2.4.27-2-386 kernel image whereas I just as soon stay with bf2.4 while upgrading to sarge stable and then install KI-2.6.8 as I was able to do the first time.  I would be nice if I could get the answers to all these questions but, now I'd be happy to get the system bootable without reinstalling again.  Sorry for the ranting but I just had to get it off my chest.  Any help received would be most appreciated including references.
Thanks again,

Len Chatagnier