lilo and /boot partition confusion

Thanks to all debians.

Please forgive my ignorance, but my google searches have failed to
answer my confusion;

My lilo.conf features lines with \vmlinuz and \vmlinuz.old etc.

These vmlinuz's are links to vmlinuz*2* files in my \boot directory.

1st confusion:
But my /boot directory should (?) be mounted from /dev/sda1 (small boot
partition on large scsi disk) _after_ the system has booted !

Quote from the installation manual:

For instance, the System.map will be properly installed (helpful for
debugging kernel problems), and /boot/config-2.4.27 will be installed,
containing your current configuration set. Your new kernel-image-2.4.27
package is also clever enough to automatically use your platform's
boot-loader to run an update on the booting, allowing you to boot
without re-running the boot loader.
=

2nd confusion:
When I run lilo manually it uses the information in /etc/lilo.conf to
write the mbr, using data from /boot ?

3rd confusion:
Sarge makes no use of *.b files ?

I have upgraded from woody to sarge and everything is fine, but when I
try to upgrade from 2.2.20 to 2.4.27, compiling and installing the new
kernel as per the instruction manual, I cannot boot.   (40 40 40 40 or
just Li and never a lilo prompt).

Thanks again.

Joe Mc Cool

the system manager.