Re: How do i find dynamic IP assigned?

--- Derrick Hudson <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:48:51PM -0400, Patrick
> Rutkowski wrote:
> | On Tuesday 21 June 2005 04:39 pm, Valeriu Cerchez
> wrote:
> | > I'm trying to find out a(/n easy) way to
> determine
> | > what is my dynamic IP assigned by my ISP (not my
> | > internal DHCP). I wish to make a script to
> determine
> | > that by request.
> | >
> | > I would greatly appreciate any suggestion.
> | > Thanks, Val.
>
> | While we're at it, i'd love a bash script to mail
> mine to me :-)
>
> Why do you want that?  I ask because I think DynDNS
> is a better
> solution to the problem I think you are trying to
> solve.  Sign up for
> a free Dynamic DNS account at http://www.dyndns.org.
>  Install the
> 'ipcheck' or some similar tool and configure it
> properly.  Then your
> system will notify dyndns of your address and they
> publish that via
> DNS.  For an example, see my domain name.
>
> -D
>
> --
> Python is executable pseudocode. Perl is executable
> line noise.
>
> www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/
> jabber: dman@dman13.dyndns.org

Actually, the purpose is to ssh someone upon request.
The most general situation is when his ISP is
assigning a dynamic IP and is not connected to
internet through a linux box, but rather through a
cable/DSL modem and a router (D-link, Linksys, etc.).
I thought it might be a way which doesn't involve
another server (dyndns, whatismyip, etc)
Thanks to everyone for their ideas.
V.

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com