Re: Sarge Upgrade DEBOCLE ! ! !

Am Dienstag, den 21.06.2005, 21:25 -0400 schrieb Tom Allison:

> > However, I am really not happy with aptitude. I prefered apt-get.
> > Really. But I will give aptitude a chance.
> >

> I found aptitude to be a pretty nice console tool.  But it took me a
> while to understand how it worked.  RTFM really helps on this one
> because it's not exactly typical.
>
> apt-get is the awesome CLI utility and I really can't imagine this being
> deprecated, unless you are talking about moving Debian to an RPM package
> system (right!)

I am using aptitude only as commandline-tool anyway. I don't like these
"scroll with the cursor through text-columns made of - | \ /
-characters"-interfaces. However, I have a problem with aptitudes
default values. Many things default to settings that I would consider
useful exactly the other way around... (i.e.: Suggestions = Dependecies
until you swith that of. "search" searches only in package names, until
you read the docs... Grrr!

Maybe calling apt "deprecated" was to wrong word, since english is not
my native language. What I wanted to say: The installation-docs for
sarge clearly say something like
"Don't use apt-get anymore. It is not good in resolving dependencies.
From now on switch to aptitude."
I've posted the link with the exact words somewhere in this thread.

However, I did not find a sentence anywhere that said "apt-get will be
removed with etch".

Bye,
Ratti

--
 -o) fontlinge | Fontmanagement for Linux | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\ http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/